Normally, I have a cute little background story or anecdote to go with my recipes, but I think a classic Meatball recipe really speaks for itself. This particular Spaghetti and Meatballs entree is pure comfort food and is best when served family style. So, I will leave you with this: Below are some stats on the recipes…yes, stats because these Meatballs will become the All Star of your menu!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes – 1 hour
Total Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour 15 minutes (depending on desired depth of flavor)
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 box Thin Spaghetti Pasta (love Barilla Plus)
- 2 quarts Water
- 4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Black Angus Ground Beef (93% Lean)
- 1 lb Premium Pork Sausage (casing removed; choose Hot Italian for an extra kick)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (coat the pan)
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup prepared Beef Bouillon
- 1 (28-ounce) can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 10 leaves Fresh Basil Leaves, torn or thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 425.
Instructions: Mix Ground Beef, Pork Sausage, Worcestershire Sauce, Egg, Bread Crumbs, Parmesan, Garlic, Salt and Pepper. Roll meat into 1 1/2 inch medium-sized meatballs and place on a cookie sheet greased with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake approximately 15 minutes (turning once), until no longer pink.
Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add Olive Oil, Crushed Red Pepper, Garlic and Onion. Saute 5 minutes, until onion bits are soft. Add prepared Beef Bouillon, Crushed Tomatoes, and Fresh Herbs. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low (just enough heat to keep warm, but not simmering). Add Meatballs and turn until coated in sauce. Let Meatballs sit in Sauce for 30 minutes to 1 Hour; allowing flavors to merge.
Place a large pot of water on to boil for spaghetti. When it boils, add Chicken Bouillon Cubes, Olive Oil and Pasta. Cook to al dente.
Toss hot, drained Spaghetti with a few ladles of Sauce and Parmesan. Turn Meatballs in remaining Sauce. Place Pasta in a bowl or on dinner plates and top with Meatballs and Sauce and extra Grated Cheese.
If you just want a delicious appetizer, skip the pasta and serve the meatballs on their own using the sauce as a dip.